If you have deleted the Hyper-V accidentally and probably think that once you delete a virtual machine, it’s gone forever. But did you know that you can restore deleted virtual machines in Windows using the Hyper-V Manager? In this blog post, we’ll show you how to restore deleted virtual machine Hyper-V, catch us after the jump!
How to restore Deleted virtual machine Hyper-V?
If you have accidentally deleted a virtual machine or if a virtual machine has become corrupted, you may be wondering if it is possible to recover the machine. The good news is that, in most cases, it is possible to restore a deleted virtual machine.
There are a few different ways to go about recovering a deleted virtual machine.
- One method is to use the hypervisor’s snapshot feature. If you have taken snapshots of your virtual machines regularly, you may be able to use these snapshots to restore a deleted or corrupted VM.
- Another method that can be used to restore a deleted VM is to use a backup program. If you have been backing up your virtual machines regularly, you should be able to use your backups to restore a deleted VM.
- Finally, if all else fails, you can try contacting the support team for your hypervisor or backup program. In some cases, they may be able to help you recover your lost data.
How to restore Deleted virtual machine Hyper-V from the backup?
Before you can restore a virtual machine (VM), you must create a VM backup. For information about creating VM backups, see Create VM backups.
- After you have created a VM backup, you can use the following procedure to restore the VM.
- In the Azure portal, open the blade for the Recovery Services vault that contains your backup items.
- In the vault blade, click Backup jobs.
- In the Backup jobs blade, select the relevant backup job.
- In the Backup job blade, click Restore to start the restore process for your selected backup item. The Restore selection pane opens to the right of the Backup job blade. This page lists all of the VMs and disks that are included in your backup job and that can be restored as a whole or individually.
- From the Restore selection pane, Select what to restore, select Entire VM or Individual disks as required, and then click OK to start restoring your VM(s).
- (Optional) To monitor the progress of your restore operation, in Notifications (near the top bar), select Jobs, and then click Go to Jobs to open the Jobs blade for your selected vault
How to restore Deleted virtual machine Hyper-V from a VMDK file?
If you have accidentally deleted a virtual machine (VM) in Hyper-V, you may be able to restore it by following these steps:
- Open the Hyper-V Manager.
- Select the “Action” menu and choose “Import Virtual Machine.”
- Click “Next” on the first screen of the Import Virtual Machine wizard.
- On the next screen, make sure that the “Choose the folder where virtual machine files are located” option is selected and click “Browse.”
- Navigate to the location of your VMDK file and select it, then click “Open.”
- Click “Next” on the next screen of the wizard.
- On the final screen, review your settings and click “Finish” to import the VM.
How do I recover a deleted VHD file?
There are a few different ways that you can go about recovering a deleted VHD file, depending on what type of backup system you have in place.
If you have a file recovery program installed on your computer, you may be able to use that to recover the file. Otherwise, you may need to restore the file from a backup.
If you have a file recovery program installed on your computer, you can try using that to recover the deleted VHD file.
To do this, launch the program and follow the instructions for scanning for and recovering deleted files. This process will vary depending on the program you are using.
If you do not have a file recovery program installed, or if the file recovery program is unable to recover the deleted VHD file, you will need to restore it from a backup.
To do this, locate the most recent backup of your hypervisor server and copy the VHD file from the backup to your hypervisor server.
How do I restore a Windows virtual machine?
If you have deleted a Windows virtual machine from your Hyper-V host and want to restore it, you can use the following steps:
- Locate the virtual machine’s configuration file in the Hyper-V host’s \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\Virtual Machine Configurations folder.
- Copy the configuration file to the \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\Backup folder.
- Restore the virtual machine using Hyper-V Manager or PowerShell.
We have tried to cover all possible options on how to restore deleted virtual machine Hyper-V and all its pros and cons. Do let us know your thoughts about the topic in the comment section below.