Have you ever wanted to know how to use the netcat command to send data between an Ubuntu virtual machine and a host? Well, here’s a quick tutorial!
Netcat is a utility for reading and writing data across network connections, using the TCP or UDP protocols.
Netcat can be used for a variety of tasks, such as testing network connections, transferring files, and forwarding traffic.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to use netcat to transfer files between an Ubuntu virtual machine and host.
What is Netcat?
Netcat is a featured networking utility which reads and writes data across network connections, using the TCP/IP protocol.
It is designed to be a reliable “back-end” tool that can be used directly or easily driven by other programs and scripts.
At the same time, it is a feature-rich network debugging and exploration tool, since it can create almost any kind of connection you would need and has several interesting built-in capabilities.
How to use Netcat between Ubuntu virtual machine and host?
If you are using Netcat on an Ubuntu virtual machine, you may find that you need to use it to connect to the host machine. Here is a quick guide on how to do this:
- On the host machine, open a terminal and type the following command:
sudo nc -l 1234
- On the Ubuntu virtual machine, open a terminal and type the following command:
Tips and Tricks
- You can use netcat to transfer files between your ubuntu virtual machine and your host machine.
- To do this, first open up a terminal window on your ubuntu virtual machine.
- Then, type in the following command: nc -l -p 1234 > filename.txt
- This will start up a netcat listener on port 1234 on your virtual machine.
- Next, open up a terminal window on your host machine and type in the following command: nc 1234 < filename.txt
- This will connect to the netcat listener on your virtual machine and transfer the file called filename.txt over to it.
- You can then view the contents of the file by typing “cat filename.txt” into the terminal window on your ubuntu virtual machine.
In conclusion, netcat is a very powerful networking tool that can be used for a variety of purposes.
This guide has shown you how to use netcat to transfer files between an Ubuntu virtual machine and host, as well as how to set up a simple chat server.
With a little creativity, there are many other ways that netcat can be used to make your life easier. Give it a try and see what you can come up with!